How to add a new column/field to an existing composite primary key

Cross-post from StackOverflow.

We have an existing table, with 2 existing columns that serve as a composite primary key. They were set up very similarly to this:

<!-- 🛑 WE CAN NO LONGER MODIFY THIS CHANGESET 🛑 -->

<changeSet author="an_awesome_author" id="EXAMPLE-01">
  <createTable tableName="our_awesome_table">
    <column name="source" type="varchar(32)">
      <constraints 
          primaryKey="true" 
          nullable="false" 
          primaryKeyName="CPK_OUR_AWESOME_TABLE"/>
    </column>
    <column
        name="external_id"
        type="varchar(255)">
      <constraints 
          primaryKey="true" 
          nullable="false"  
    </column>
  </createTable>
</changeSet>

It has subsequently come to our attention that there can be multiple records with the same source & external_id (twitching eye). The group submitting the data submits on a regular schedule and they’ve assured us that they never use the same combination of source & external_id in the same batch of data.

So (for reasons beyond this question) we’ve decided that we’re going to add a created_at field, that is non-nullable and defaults to when each record is added to the table. That’s not that difficult, e.g. we can run this pair of changeSets

<!-- WE ARE TRYING TO FINALIZE THESE CHANGESETS -->

<changeSet author="yours_truly"
           id="EXAMPLE-02-01">
  <addColumn tableName="our_awesome_table">
    <column name="CREATED_AT"
            type="datetime"
            valueDate="current_datetime"
            defaultValueDate="current_datetime" />
    <!-- the above:
      adds the new field
      sets the type
      adds the current timestamp to existing records
      will default to the current timestamp for new records
    -->
  </addColumn>
</changeSet>
           id="EXAMPLE-02-02">
  <addNotNullConstraint tableName="our_awesome_table"
                        columnName="CREATED_AT"/>
  <!-- the above:
    now that every record has a value in the newly created field,
    we can add a constrant preventing null entries into the column
  -->
</changeSet>

BUT, we also need to add created_at to our existing composite primary key!

If I try to include the primary key as a constraint when we’re creating the field it complains about the table only being able to have one primary key —despite the fact that it’s already a composite key and I’m only trying add this to the already in existence composite key. But it also complains about the created_at timestamp being null. So, I’m not sure which is the actual problem :man_shrugging:, but it definitely doesn’t work here.

e.g.

id="EXAMPLE-02-01">
    <column name="CREATED_AT"
            type="datetime"
            valueDate="current_datetime"
            defaultValueDate="current_datetime">
      <constraints primaryKey="true"
                   primaryKeyName="PK_OUR_AWESOME_TABLE"/>
      <!-- this constraints causes multiple problems -->
    </column>
  </addColumn>
</changeSet>

results in something like:

[ERROR]      Reason: liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: ORA-02260: table can have only one primary key
[ERROR]  [Failed SQL: ALTER TABLE OUR_AWESOME_TABLE.OUR_AWESOME_TABLE ADD CREATED_AT TIMESTAMP DEFAULT SYSTIMESTAMP PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL]

If I try to include the primary key as a <constraint> in the changeSet where we add the non-nullable constraint then I’m basically told that I can’t use <constraints> there and instead need to one of a list of <addXxxConstraint> and in the list is an <addPrimaryKey> —this sounds like the right constraint.

So if I change the second changeSet to something like this, I would expect it to work:

id="EXAMPLE-02-02">
  <addNotNullConstraint tableName="our_awesome_table"
                        columnName="CREATED_AT"/>
  <addPrimaryKey tableName="our_awesome_table"
                 columnNames="CREATED_AT"
</changeSet>

But —as you can probably guess— it doesn’t work. Instead, it informs me that, cvc-complex-type.3.2.2: Attribute 'primaryKeyName' is not allowed to appear in element 'addPrimaryKey'.

So, how can I add a new non-nullable field, to an existing composite primary key?

The way I’ve done it is drop the primary key, add the new column with the not null constraint and then recreate the primary key with the new column. I know drop/recreate is a requirement in Oracle. I’m not sure if other platforms allow you to alter a primary key. Based on your examples above, that might look like this:

<changeSet author="yours_truly" id="EXAMPLE-02-01-dropPK">
    <dropPrimaryKey  tableName= "our_awesome_table" constraintName="CPK_OUR_AWESOME_TABLE"/>
 </changeSet>

<changeSet author="yours_truly" id="EXAMPLE-02-01-addNNcol"> 
         <column name="CREATED_AT" type="datetime" valueDate="current_datetime" defaultValueDate="current_datetime">
            <constraints nullable="false"/>
       </column>
    </addColumn>
</changeSet>

<changeSet author="yours_truly" id="EXAMPLE-02-02">
    <addPrimaryKey tableName="our_awesome_table" columnNames="source,external_id,CREATED_AT" constraintName="CPK_OUR_AWESOME_TABLE"/>
</changeSet>

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thank you so much!

I had figured out a somewhat similar approach, but my version was nowhere near as clean and elegant as your version; more importantly, I really wanted the composite key to be named, but didn’t realize that I could do that with constraintName (The liquibase docs provides really good very basic examples, but would really benefit from more complex examples.)

Again, thank you so much @Pete!

2 Likes