Question about generateStatement() being executed multiple times

Hi,

I’ve been trying to tweak liquibase to add a sql statement capability to the loadData action to generate a value based on other data in the db.  For example, determining a foreign key value by doing something like this in a element:

<column name=“CUSTOMER_ID” type=“NUMERIC” select=“select customer_id from customer where name like %customer_name%”

…(other columns)

and then in the csv I could have data like this:

#CUSTOMER_ID,CUSTOMER_NAME,

,“ABC Corporation”,

So, any column with a type of “DATA” is not pumped into the insertStatement being generated.

And - for the select - the %xxx% allows reference to any column in the current line.

So - enough for background.  I’ve got it basically working.  The problem I’m encountering is that the LoadDataChange.generateStatements() method, where I implemented the select, is invoked three times - the first two times before any actual data has been loaded for the changeSets in the databaseChangeLog.

So - I can’t just throw an exception when the select statement fails (i.e. on “Empty result set, expected one row”).  Instead, I have an ugly warning written to the console like this:

[updateDatabase] Warning - ‘select’ statement failed, message Empty result set, expected one row
[updateDatabase] This warning may appear a couple of times.  If your changeLog doesn’t actually run, then this probably a real error.
[updateDatabase] This has to do with the way Liquibase handles the changesets - multiple passes through, first pass before any of the changeSets have executed

So - finally - the question.  Anyone have any suggestions on a better approach than this?  One thought I had was to introduce a parameter to the generateStatement indicating that “I’m really about to run this code” vs “I’m just checking”.

I’m working with Liquibase 2.0.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob Sandiford

SirsiDynix

I think something needs to be added/changed in the interface so generateStatements is called only once or you can tell why it is being requested. I don’t know of a better way currently

I created http://liquibase.jira.com/browse/CORE-1044 to track the feature

Nathan