Starting now, with 1.95 or 2.0?

Hi,

I’ve been following this project for a few months. We have been using a script to fully regenerate the DB, as we had a changing source of data to migrate.

We are now pushing the button and heading to production and will leave the “full regeneration” approach in favor of an “incremental scripts” one - with liquibase.

Question: What seems to be preferable, starting now with 2.0 and deal with the pain of some bugs or start with 1.9.5 and deal with the pain of upgrading to 2.0 in the near future?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

definitive 2.0.
I have an experience to move existing project from 1.9.x to 2.0. It’s not smooth.
And codebase of 2.0 is stabilized, IMO. Nathan had promised release it as far back as Dec 2009.

Ok, I have a “liquibase-2.0-rc2-SNAPSHOT-bin.tar.gz” (don’t remember how I got it). Is that the very latest/most recommended? I can’t seem to find other download than the “liquibase-2.0-rc1-bin.tar.gz”?

I would suggest starting with 2.0.  Like taraneko said, I keep hoping that the final version will be out soon, but issues and time have forced me to keep pushing it back.  At this point, most of the outstanding bugs and required changes appear to be mainly internal-api related.  A big focus of 2.0 is on 3rd party extensibility, and so I need to be sure that I can support backwards compatibility for plugins going forward, once 2.0 final is released.  If you are using liquibase “normally”, 2.0 should be nearly as stable as 1.9 at this point.

The upgrade to 2.0 process is another item that needs to be better ironed out and/or documented.  It will hopefully be fairly seamless, but since the checksums in particular changed completely it cannot be completely transparent, and so avoiding that update process will probably be best for you.

The most recent build can always be gotten from http://liquibase.org/ci/latest.  There are some important bugs that have been fixed in there since RC1

Nathan

Originally posted by: Nathan
The upgrade to 2.0 process is another item that needs to be better ironed out and/or documented.  It will hopefully be fairly seamless, but since the checksums in particular changed completely it cannot be completely transparent, and so avoiding that update process will probably be best for you.

Yes, we’re now starting with RC2-snapshot. No issues so far.

Originally posted by: Nathan
The most recent build can always be gotten from http://liquibase.org/ci/latest.  There are some important bugs that have been fixed in there since RC1

Good. It wasn’t working at the time.

Thanks

I have found my way in use both of them.
That’s sounds funny ) But i can’t find better decision on this moment cause have no time to.

There are some reasons:

• 1.9.5 (getting from official release) in my case - generates wrong Foreign Keys(with list of numerous incorrect column names in ‘baseColumnNames’ attribute) [using db: Oracle 10g]
  • 2.0 RC (getting from buildserver/official_links) have some list of errors like NPE. And it’s make liquibase 2.0 not-full-usable for me.

So i try to use all advantages of both versions and make XSL Transformation to convert changeLogs between them.

P.S.
Incorrect foreign key generation description.
LB 1.9.5 result:

LB 2.0 result:

Attention: baseColumnNames, referencedColumnNames attributes.