Help! I am sick of being family tech support at Christmas. What can I do?

I can already see the multiple malfunctioning apple products being thrust into my face the second I walk in the door. :iphone: :computer: :desktop_computer: :printer:

Instead of celebrating the end of a long drive by putting my feet up and enjoying a holiday beverage :tropical_drink:, I will be immediately asked to figure out:

• Why someone’s iPhone photos aren’t syncing to “the cloud”

• Why emails aren’t being received

• Why web sites won’t load

• Why the printer won’t work, apps won’t install

• Why Alexa responds only some of the time but not all of the time

How do you handle being considered the technical one in your family while you are home for the holidays? I want to help my family when I head home for the holidays but I also want to take a break and enjoy my holiday!

Liquibase community, can you help me out? What should I do?

Should I go as far as setting up a Calendly with timeslots or maybe limit the number of questions I answer?

What ideas do you have? Post your thoughts below. :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

2 Likes

Set boundaries. Yes, you will help your mom fix her Mac, but you won’t be working on it from the moment you walk in the door until the moment you leave. Set a time that you’ll work on it. (Preferably after a drink.) :wine_glass:

Don’t do all of the things… have your parents pick one or two items only by priority. Example: Don’t update the Mac your mom hasn’t opened in 3 months. Help her with her phone she uses daily first.

1 Like

I love hitting them with the old-fashioned saying that goes, “Well, did you Google it?”

When that doesn’t work, I start negotiating…

• If you want me to fix your TV, then YOU have to do the dishes.

• If you want me to explain how to update your Facebook profile picture, then make me a hot chocolate while I am doing it

you get the gist…

1 Like

You’re not alone. For most of us, the holidays are a time to spend with family and friends, but for some, it means spending most of your time fixing technology problems rather than enjoying yourself.