How do I use --logLevel?

It doesn’t seem to matter what I set it to, I don’t get anything that looks like additional information?

liquibase --url=“jdbc:informix-sqli:INFORMIXSERVER=informix01_tcp;SQLH_TYPE=FILE;SQLH_FILE=/opt/informix/informix/etc/sqlhosts;DATABASE=wallet” --logLevel=debug --logFile=./lb.log --classpath=/opt/informix/informix/jdbc/lib/ifxjdbc.jar --changeLogFile ./test1ChangeLog.xml --includeTablespace=true generateChangeLog

Starting Liquibase at Thu, 07 Mar 2019 12:30:34 GMT (version 3.6.3 built at 2019-01-29 11:34:48)

Unexpected error running Liquibase: liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: java.sql.SQLException: The cursor has been previously released and is unavailable.

liquibase.exception.LiquibaseException: liquibase.command.CommandExecutionException: liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: java.sql.SQLException: The cursor has been previously released and is unavailable.

ls: ./lb.log: No such file or directory

I have the same question.  Unless I’m also using it incorrectly (which is hardly inconceivable), --logLevel seems to be a supported flag, with 0 functionality.

The built-in logger for liquibase is fairly basic. It outputs to the console (stderr stream, I think), not to a file. The different levels available are debug, info, warning, severe, and off. I think the default level is ‘severe’. So in Spokey’s example above, since the difference in commands was just to use --logLevel=severe, there was no difference in output. It is not clear to me why the --logFile=./lb.log option did not result in a file being created. 

debug - most verbose. Show debug-level messages, chatty info messages, warnings, and severe errors.

If you want to get better logging, there is a plugin that enables the slf4j logging interface, which is far more configurable. Search the web for ‘liquibase slf4j’ for more details on how to do that. 

Steve Donie
Principal Software Engineer
Datical, Inc. http://www.datical.com/

Follow up to this

There was actually a bug in Liquibase 3.6.x that prevented the --logLevel flag from working properly. That has been fixed in 3.8.1 and subsequent versions. 

Steve Donie
Principal Software Engineer
Liquibase Community Engagement
Datical, Inc. http://www.datical.com/