SQL or Oracle Extension

Hello!

I’m new to Liquibase so forgive the naive question…

I’m using an Oracle database. That is unlikely to change any time soon. I’m trying to put together some Liquibase changeSets and a number of the tables use things like check constraints, triggers, etc.

Seems there are two ways to manage that using Liquibase. Firstly, I can use the SQL tag and include the Oracle specific SQL. This seems easiest and quickest (the SQL already exists) so that’ll be the course I take I suspect.

However, I appreciate there are benefits from using the Liquibase tags - deploying to a different RDBMS for example - so was wondering if I ought to be considering the Oracle extension instead? Seems to be doing that is pretty much just rewriting the existing SQL - as presumably those extensions do not support alternate RDBMSs so what would I gain by going through that process? Rollback maybe?

Does it matter much if I just wrap a load of existing SQL in Liquibase XML?

Your thoughts would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Thanks Andreas - that is both reassuring and helpful!

Hi Pete,

yes, the benefit of using the Oracle extension is that, where possible, rollback actions are generated automatically. However, at our organization, we use a mix of Oracle-Tag and hand-written SQL nevertheless because we like our rollbacks to be more precise. An example is this:

… some changelog …

<ora:dropCheck tableName=“our_table” constraintName=“some_constraint_name” />

ALTER TABLE  our_table ADD

CONSTRAINT some_constraint_name

CHECK ( the_new_version_of_the_check_condition )

ENABLE VALIDATE

<ora:dropCheck tableName=" our_table " constraintName=" some_constraint_name"/>

ALTER TABLE  our_table ADD

CONSTRAINT some_constraint_name

CHECK ( the_previous_version_of_the condition )

ENABLE VALIDATE;

This way, in case of a schema rollback, we will get the exact definition of the previous constraint back. So, our strategy is this: 

• Use the Oracle extensions where practical (faster once you have memorized the syntax, also more intuitive to our java developers)

• Use hand-written SQL where you see fit.

So, a mix between Oracle Extensions and hand-written SQL works just fine as far as I am concerned.

Best regards,

Andreas

You’re welcome, but please keep in mind that I am a Liquibase-beginner, too :slight_smile: But so far, I can say that it works pretty good in our project. The only feature we are really missing is Liquibase being able to use different connections (=accounts) for different schemas.