Migration of existing liquibase versioned to a new database

Hi Everybody,

We have been using liquibase from the past 2 and half years.
We are going to migrate all the existing database tables to new database.
We need to know how best we can do this excercise with the liquibase.

Please let me know if anyone has done this earlier.

Thanks,
Mekala

I don’t understand what you mean by “migrating the existing tables to a new database”?  Could you explain your problem more?

Nathan

I guess he wants to do clone tables from one database (where they are already exists) to the new one (where they are not exists).  :slight_smile:

Hi All,

We have implemented liquibase in current application and maintaining it for almost 3 years.We have hudson server which will be doing our builds. Now we are upgrading our existing application to new, while doing so we have to move all the tables structure and data also from the existing database to new database. So the approach we have taken is get the DDL extract of existing system and start that as the first iteration of liquibase in the new application. After development is done, when we are moving to TEST/QA/PROD the we are going to execute the liquibase generated script for iteration1 which is the old database tables script and then execute DML script which brings the data of the tables. Can you please let me know if this is clear what we are trying to achieve.

Important thing is we have to run old and new application for almost 3 months during pilot phase of new application.

In a short cut i will agree what taranenko has mentioned. We are trying to move the tables from one database to another.So my question is the databasechangelog entries should be ported to new database?

Thanks
Mekala

Hi All,

Is there any one has updates on the above mentioned one.
Please let me know it is very urgent for us right now.

Thanks,
Mekala

Mekala,

you have to do liquibase diff command see at http://liquibase.org/manual/diff for detail
If you want to migrate data of the tables you have to use another tools, such as dbvisualiser, sqlworkbench or other free or proprietary db utils to export data in csv or sql-format. Liquibase itself currently does not support this feature.
If you have such kind of dump, you may use liquibase or or tag to include it in the change log script.

Cheers, Oleg

Hi Oleg,

Thank you so much for your reply.
We need the data also when we move the tables. Our DBA team exporting the tables including the data also.
Because of huge data in those tables we are not going to write DML scripts to get the data.

I wil try the approach mentioned above.

Thanks
Mekala

Hi,

By “new database”, do you mean another DBMS, e.g. moving from MySQL to Oracle? If it is the same DBMS, why not just

• do an export of the existing database
  • import it to the new one
  • starting from there with the databasechangelog that you also got in the export

Best regards /Lasse

Originally posted by: naresh.mekala
Hi All,

We have implemented liquibase in current application and maintaining it for almost 3 years.We have hudson server which will be doing our builds. Now we are upgrading our existing application to new, while doing so we have to move all the tables structure and data also from the existing database to new database. So the approach we have taken is get the DDL extract of existing system and start that as the first iteration of liquibase in the new application. After development is done, when we are moving to TEST/QA/PROD the we are going to execute the liquibase generated script for iteration1 which is the old database tables script and then execute DML script which brings the data of the tables. Can you please let me know if this is clear what we are trying to achieve.

Important thing is we have to run old and new application for almost 3 months during pilot phase of new application.

In a short cut i will agree what taranenko has mentioned. We are trying to move the tables from one database to another.So my question is the databasechangelog entries should be ported to new database?

Thanks
Mekala