Tomcat Not Starting, Getting 403 Error From Liquibase

We have been getting this error since this morning every time we start our Tomcat with Liquibase enabled.

Caused by: Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL:

We realize this morning that the Liquibase website was down entirely. Is this related to that outage? What is the fix? We are using IntelliJ with Maven to build our project. This is preventing us from doing our work. Thanks.

1 Like

We get the same error today, the URL can be reached in a browser but maven build errors out.

Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL:

This same thing occurred last year with this thread: Liquibase 3.6 XSD 403 error - #7 by mitro

1 Like

Thanks. Were you able to find a workaround? Or do we just need to wait for Liquibase to fix it? Judging by the post, I’m assuming it’s the latter.

There is a way to have the xsd file stored locally and have it reference that, but I’ve never done it and don’t have the liberty to make that change to our code anyway. They’re also going to say that upgrading to the latest liquibase resolves it also.

The last time this happened it was resolved the same day, hours later.

We have also been seeing this issue for the last few hours
Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL:
Never had this issue before and been using liquibase for many years. I noted I could download the CSD from a browser, but not from our gitlab pipeline.
We will wait a little longer before looking at moving this locally

Same issue here. This happened back in 2022 I think when something was blocking requests with a java user-agent in the header. We can access fine from the browser / curl etc but getting 403 from our maven build attempts so presume its the same issue again.

Same issue here X_X
Anyone have some news from the owners? We need to wait for the fix?
Thank you :smiley:

Same here… with “user-agent” including Java there is a 403, with every other “user-agent”-String it’s working.

Same here.
As a workaround, given that I’ve daemonized my spring-boot app, I’ve dropped JAVA_OPTS="-Dhttp.agent=curl/7.55.1" into MYAPPNAME.conf.

Thanks all. Great find. Working with WPEngine support right now and will post an update shortly.

Hi All, can you please test your workflows again?

We just tried and the system is working correctly. We appreciate the work done.


OK, so now everything should be back up and running. Here’s what happened:

  • is hosted on WPEngine on their legacy network.
  • Yesterday (6/6) there was an outage with our site
  • The solution from WPEngine was to update our DNS to use their Advanced Network Offering
  • This brought the site back online, but broke HTTP redirects for XSDs and enabled CloudFlare security which blocks Java agents < version 10.
  • Today we reverted the DNS change back to the legacy network. I’ve tested access to the XSDs via browser, curl, and liqubase-maven-plugin and all seem to be working.

@jnewton Thanks for the update. We are currently using Java 8 which explains the issue we were having.

As of right now, our Tomcat is running again, and we are in the process of trying to get on a newer Java version. Thanks again for your help!

1 Like