What is the purpose of the DatabaseSnapshotGenerator and is the issue I'm having a bug?

I think the way you are extending the SnapshotGenerator is correct. The goal of the class it to handle the database-specific meta-data reading support. Case sensitivity is something that isn’t very well defined in 2.0 but is something I will be trying to standardize with 3.0.

For now, the change you made is just fine.

Nathan

I apologize in advance for the long-winded post…

What exactly is the purpose of the DatabaseSnapshotGenerator and its database specific implementations? I noticed while trying to track down a bug in some code that tags use this interface for resolving column names and table names associated with the .

Here’s little background on the reason I’m asking and what I am seeing. I am seeing the issue in PostgreSQL (8.1.9) using Liquibase 2.0.1. If I have the following example change log:

1. <databaseChangeLog …>

CREATE TABLE myTestTable {

myInteger INTEGER

};

The in 2 will return false and Liquibase will attempt to run the portion and fail because PostgreSQL will throw a column already exists error. If I change the to have an all lowercase columnName:

Then, the in 2 will return true and all is well. So it appears that the are doing a case-sensitive comparison on a case-insensitive database (unless of course quotes are added).

I DO NOT see this issue if I use Liquibase’s tag, however we have hundreds of create table statements we don’t want rewrite in Liquibase format. I discovered that if I extend the PostgresDatabaseSnapshotGenerator as follows, all is well:

1. public class CaselessPostgresDatabaseSnapshotGenerator extends PostgresDatabaseSnapshotGenerator
  2. {
  3.     @Override
  4.     protected String convertColumnNameToDatabaseTableName(final String columnName)
  5.     {
  6.         return (columnName != null) ? columnName.toLowerCase() : null;
  7.     }
  8. }

Is this a bug? Is my solution a valid solution in the mean time? If it is, again, what’s the purpose of the DatabaseSnapshotGenerator so I have a better understanding of what I have changed?

Thank you for the response Nathan!