Mac, XAMPP, MySQL & Liquibase [Solved]

Hi there,

I’m trying to use Liquibase from the command line in the setup described in the title. 

A (sudo ps aux | grep mysql) command shows MySQL running on my local machine on port 3306:

nobody     432   0.0  0.3   639996  13696   ??  S    10:10am   0:00.25 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles --datadir=/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql --user=nobody --log-error=/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/XXXXX.local.err --pid-file=/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/XXXXXn.local.pid --socket=/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/mysql/mysql.sock --port=3306

Now I try running this command:

java -jar liquibase.jar --driver=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver       --changeLogFile=scheme_changes.xml       --url=“jdbc:mysql://localhost/head_portal”       --username=web       --password=web       migrate

In a directory with the following files:

* liquibase.jar

• scheme_changes.xml

• mysql-connector-java-5.1.15-bin.jar 

And I get the following errors:

Liquibase Update Failed: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

SEVERE 3/28/11 10:19 AM:liquibase: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

liquibase.exception.DatabaseException: com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure

… 15 more

I can login to my MySQL database using the following command:

mysql -u web --password=web head_portal

Can anyone see what I’m doing wrong?

I’ve fixed it!!

There’s a setting in MySQL that was blocking me from connection through TCP/IP.

To fix open the file /Applications/XAMPP/etc/my.cnf and comment out the line with:

skip-networking

Restart MySQL and all should be working.

Cheers,

Mike

Glad you found the issue. Thanks for the update.

Nathan